2011 California OAH San Diego - Special Education Hearing Officer and Mediation Training
March 21-25, 2011
The Academy for IDEA Administrative Law Judges and Hearing Officers, on behalf of the California Office of Administrative Hearings, conducted a five-day training for mediators and special education hearing officers in San Diego, California. Attendance was available to current special education hearing officers, state-level hearing system administrative personnel, or mediators from any state. The program was presented at the Doubletree Hotel Mission Valley, 7450 Hazard Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92108.
Among the topics presented were how bullying affects special education students, the role of the hearing officer, managing hearings, ethics and mediation, writing better decisions and a review of recent decisions.
Program and Faculty
The program and faculty for this training included:
- Considerations for Better Management of Your Hearings, Lynwood E. Beekman, former Chief Hearing Officer, Chief Hearing Officer, Student Hearing Office, District of Columbia
- Mediation of Special Education Disputes, Prof. Mary B. Culbert, Loyola Law School Center for Conflict Resolution
- The Role of the Hearing Officers in Special Education Hearings, Prof. Philip T.K. Daniel, William Ray and Marie Adamson Flesher Professor of Educational Administration and Adjunct Professor of Law, Ohio State University
- How to Write Better Decisions, Prof. Elizabeth A. Francis, Judicial Studies and English, University of Nevada-Reno
- Compensatory Education: Where Are We?, Alice K. Nelson, Senior Attorney, Southern Legal Counsel, Inc., Florida
- Bullying and Students with Disabilities, Jerome M. Sattler, Emeritus Professor, Department of Psychology, San Diego State University
- The Nexus Between the DSM & IDEA: Social Maladjustment and Emotional Disturbance, Mary Schwartz, Impartial Hearing Officer, Illinois
- Review of Recent Litigation, Prof. Jane Wettach, Clinical Professor of Law and Director, Children's Education Law Clinic, Duke University Law School
A complete copy of the materials distributed to the attendees can be downloaded (PDF) by clicking here.
Following are links to the Powerpoint presentations used during this training:
- Bullying and Students with Disabilities, Jerome M. Sattler
- The Role of the Hearing Officers in Special Education Hearings, Prof. Philip T.K. Daniel
- Compensatory Education: Where Are We?, Alice K. Nelson
- The Nexus Between the DSM & IDEA: Social Maladjustment and Emotional Disturbance, Mary Schwartz
- Review of Recent Litgation, Prof. Jane Wettach