August 26, 2011
Job Strategies Workshop
Location: Room C5
The Office of Alumni Relations and the Recent Alumni Committee are pleased to present the following complimentary workshop and reception for recent Seattle University law graduates. Please mark your calendar and join us on
FRIDAY, AUGUST 26, 2011
1:00 to 6:30 p.m.
The Recent Alumni Committee - most specifically Melissa Chin '08, co-chair of the Program Development subcommittee, and members Darcey Elliott '10, Kara Herschowitz '08, David Keenan '08, Chris Wong '08, Jeremy Lawrence '10, and Rachel Wilhoit '10 - has developed a strong program to address some of the challenges we know many recent grads are facing. Dean Mark Niles will provide a welcome and the workshop will conclude with a networking reception. The full schedule is below.
Please send your intent to attend by August 22 to email@example.com or call 206.398.4600. Space is limited.
FINANCIAL AID 1:00 - 2:00
Learn How to Manage Your Law School Debt
· What if You Don't Have a Job?
· Changes in the Law
· Loan Repayment Assistance Program
· Loan Consolidation and Repayment Options
· Loan Forgiveness Through Government Service
MARKETING YOUR LAW DEGREE AND FINDING A JOB 2:00 - 3:30
Learn About Creative Options For Keeping Your Skills Sharp and Finding a Job in a Down Economy
· Filling Your Résumé When You Don't Have a Job
· Job Search Avenues
· What Else Can I Do With a J.D.? Alternative careers.
• Tired of your current job? How to market yourself for a practice area change.
PRO BONO OPPORTUNITIES 3:30 - 4:30
Find Out About Pro Bono Opportunities That Allow You to Serve and Gain Valuable Experience
· Types of Pro Bono Opportunities
• Where to Look
VENTURING OUT ON YOUR OWN 4:30 - 5:30
Find Out About the Pros/Cons of Being a Contracted Attorney and Starting a Solo Practice
· Pros/Cons of Contract Work
· Where to Look
• Real Life Lessons of Solo Practice
RECEPTION 5:30 - 6:30
Join Your Colleagues for Refreshments and Networking