Alumni receive 2009 awards from the Washington State Bar Association
Five graduates of Seattle University School of Law have been recognized for their outstanding community service and contribution to the legal profession. Among the recipients of the Washington State Bar Association's 2009 awards are:
- Judge Deborah D. Fleck '76 was honored with the 2009 Award of Merit, the WSBA's highest honor, for her leadership in advocating for adequate funding for Washington state courts and for promoting access to justice for all. She has been a King County Superior Court judge since 1992. Read more about her on the WSBA website.
- Thuy Nguyen Leeper '01 was honored as a co-recipient of the 2009 Excellence in Diversity Award for her work, as Committee Co-chair, on a project for Washington Minority Bar Associations (MBA): the MBA Joint Committee on Law Firm Diversity. Read More.
- Ernest Radillo '07 was honored with the 2009 Courageous Award for displaying exceptional courage in the face of adversity, thus bringing credit to the legal profession. Since 2007, Radillo has been a staff attorney at Columbia Legal Services, a statewide non-profit law firm that provides free legal aid in civil matters to low-income people in Washington. Read more.
- Captain Alexander M. Straub '05 was honored with the 2009 Community Service Award for generously donating his time and talents in service to his community. Captain Straub is an assistant full-time judge advocate at the Washington National Guard Legal Office in Tacoma. Read more.
- Jonathan Yeh '02 was honored with the 2009 Pro Bono Award at the Access to Justice/Bar Leaders Conference in Yakima for his service to the community and dedication to pro bono services in Washington. Jonathan has been serving clients for the last eight years at the International District Legal Clinic. Read More.