A waitlist is started for a course if all available seats have been filled.
How students are moved from waitlists
Waitlist sign in
Class attendance for students on a waitlist
First day class attendance for students registered in a waitlisted class
If all the seats in a course are full during registration you can add yourself to a waitlist for the course. You must meet all course prerequisites to add yourself to a waitlist. Waitlisted classes do not count toward your total credit load. You can register for an alternate section of the same course or register for a course at the same time as your waitlisted course without affecting your chances of being offered a seat in the waitlisted course.
To check your waitlist position, go to SUOnline and choose the 'Manage My Waitlist' from the student menu. If you are on a waitlist the status will show as 'Pending". You don't need to contact us regarding your pending status; we will contact you if a seat becomes available in the course.
If a seat becomes available in the course we will email you. You must reply to the deadline stated in the email to get a seat in the course. You must drop any alternate sections of the same course and any conflicting courses before you will be registered for the waitlisted course. If you fail to reply you will be dropped from the waitlist and the seat will be offered to the next student on the list.
During the first week of classes students must sign into the waitlists every day. You may sign in by phoning the Office of the Registrar at 206-398-4150, emailing at email@example.com or by stopping by the Registrar’s front desk.
If you would like to attend the first class session of a course for which you are waitlisted you may do so, at the professor’s discretion, if there are seats available in the classroom. You are not required to attend and attendance gives you no advantage in moving off the waitlist.*
*A few of our clinics and simulation classes are an exception to this rule. For these courses waitlisted students must attend the first class to be eligible to enroll. If this is the case for one of your waitlisted courses you will receive an email from the professor or the Office of the Registrar at least one week before classes begin.
Because we need an accurate headcount of students attending waitlisted courses all registered students are expected to attend the first class session of a waitlisted course. You must have the professor’s permission if you need to miss the class. If you do not attend and your absence is unexcused you will be dropped from the course and your seat will be given to a waitlisted student.
- Add yourself to waitlists! We won’t know that you want a course if you are not on its waitlist.
- Check your email! If you don’t reply to a waitlist email by the deadline you will be dropped from the waitlist. If you are going to be traveling during a break and will be out of email contact for longer than one business day it is a good idea to email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- Sign in during week one. There is a lot of registration activity during week one. Many students choose to lower their credit load during this time and we often see space open up in waitlisted courses. If you don’t sign in you won’t be eligible to move into the class.
- If you are no longer interested in a class drop off the waitlist. It will save you unwanted emails and allow us to more quickly assign empty seats.
- Do not ask a professor to allow you into a class before others on the waitlist. We move students from the waitlist in order only.