Racial Justice Leadership Institute
2012-2013 Racial Justice Leadership Institute
The Racial Justice Leadership Institute (RJLI) is a professional development opportunity that is offered to SU law students, faculty, staff and alumni. Consistent with our mission to educate lawyers to be leaders for a just and humane world, RJLI is designed to foster leadership skills for working in all areas of the profession in ways that resist systems of privilege and oppression.
RJLI currently offers three programs:
- RJLI for Law Students
- Advanced RJLI for Law Students and Alumni who have completed RJLI
- Advanced RJLI for Faculty and Staff who have completed RJLI
Participants in the RJLI for Law Students can expect to gain:
- Common tools and language for addressing discomfort, tension, confusion, and other dynamics that emerge in classrooms and workplaces
- Strategies for identifying, naming, and responding to difficult situations related to identity, privilege, and oppression
- Deeper connections with peers, including a sense of solidarity and trust with other RJLI participants
- Shared analysis about the structural and interpersonal operations of racial privilege and oppression
- Skills for cultivating personal wellness as a strategy for personal and professional sustainability
Participants in the Advanced RJLI can expect to practice:
- Creating change within a social justice framework and concrete solidarity work
- Understanding personal and structural dynamics within the cycles of socialization and liberation
- Responding to common dialogue blockers
- Responding to resistance and defensiveness
- Identifying and naming internalized oppression/dominance
- Managing personal triggers
- Embodied practice (scarcity and abundance, resilience, boundary setting, grounding, etc.)
- Multi-identity frameworks for thinking about racial justice (analysis of ableism, transphobia, sexism, xenophobia and homophobia within RJLI framework)
- Tracking 201
- Mentoring opportunities with first-year RJLI participants
What do past participants have to say about Student RJLI?
When asked to reflect on their experiences with the Institute, students shared:
This was awesome. It was great to acknowledge and validate my own experiences. I really feel empowered.
I think this experience is really unique. I am very glad I was able to be a part of it.
I really like the structure and framework we are working with - I have trusted the process and am happy with where we are in it.
I would recommend this experience to all of my peers.
At first, I was apprehensive, but [RJLI's process] allowed me to be more honest and open without feeling afraid to come across as insensitive to race.
I feel better about building solidarity with peers of color and facilitating the
process of racial consciousness.
It helped me learn to deal with guilt in a more productive way.
I have learned so much about myself and what I need to move forward in racial justice work.
I really enjoyed meeting the people in my sessions. I have run into almost
everyone at least once this week, and our connection has made me feel a strong sense of community.
I look forward to continue working in allyship with all the participants and to
increase interest in other students.
Session 1 - September 30th (9 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
Session 2 - October 19th (2 p.m. - 5 p.m.)
Session 3 - November 30th (2 p.m. - 5 p.m.)
Session 4 - January 18th (2 p.m. - 5 p.m.)
Session 5 - March 1st (2 p.m. - 5 p.m.)
Session 6 - March 15th (2 p.m. - 5 p.m.)
RJLI is open to any law student. Apply here by midnight, Wednesday, September 12th: http://studentvoice.com/su/studentrjliapplicationfall2012
When is Advanced RJLI for Law Students and Alumni and How do I Apply?
Session 1 - September 29th (9 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
Session 2 - October 18th (6 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
Session 3 - November 29th (6 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
Session 4 - January 17th (6 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
Session 5 - February 28th (6 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
Session 6 - March 14th (6 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
Advanced RJLI is open to any law student who successfully completed RJLI any time between 2009 and 2012. Apply here by midnight, Wednesday, September 12th: http://studentvoice.com/su/advancedrjliforstudentsandalumniapplication
Session 1 - September 28th (9 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
Session 2 - October 19th (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
Session 3 - November 30th (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
Session 4 - January 18th (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
Session 5 - March 1st (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
Session 6 - March 15th (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
Advanced RJLI is open to any faculty or staff who successfully completed RJLI in 2011-2012. Apply here by midnight, Wednesday, September 12th: http://studentvoice.com/su/advancedrjliforfacultyandstaffapplication
For more information about the RJLI, please contact:
- Georgia Woodruff - Assistant Director of Student Life - email@example.com
- Diana Singleton - Director of the Access to Justice Institute - firstname.lastname@example.org