All students (including full-time and part-time JD, MLS, and LLM students) are guaranteed the opportunity to participate in at least one externship.
- 1L students: part-time externships starting in the summer after your first year.
- 2L students: part-time externships in fall or spring.
- 3L/4L students: part-and full time externships.
- Beginning the summer after your 2L year, you may enroll in full-time externships if you have earned 60 credits by the time the externship begins AND are in the top half of the class.
- If not in the top half of the class, you may still be enrolled in a full-time externship if you have a Bar Success Plan with the Academic Resource Center and approval by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
- Evening students: part-time externships starting the summer after your 1L year.
- LLM/MLS students: part-time externships
- Must attend intensive orientation scheduled at the beginning of the semester but not the weekly seminar.
- Must complete skills and values assessments, evaluations, time sheets and written reflections.
Note: Some full-time externships may be available on a part-time basis.
Rule 9 Information
- Some externship sponsors require (or prefer) that student externs are Rule 9 qualified.
- This qualification allows a student to practice law under the supervision of an attorney.
- The site supervisor must sign your application, not the Director of the Externship Program.
- For instructions on how to apply, consult the Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) website.
Note: The Washington State Bar Association does not waive Rule 9 application fees for externships. Externs, not sponsoring agencies, are responsible for paying any Rule 9 fees.