- Independent Study must be arranged prior to the beginning of term
- Only Students ranked in the top 75% of their class are eligible.
- Submit the Independent Study Form to the Registrar by the first day of the term.
- No student may take more than 2 credits during their law school career.
- Faculty members may supervise a maximum of three independent studies per semester.
- Students must complete at least 42 hours of research and writing for each IS credit
- 1 credit: 15-20 page paper
- 2 credits: 20-30 page paper
- To initiate the study, students and supervising faculty members must complete a form contract that contains:
- Topic statement and project description
- Statement of student’s objective
- Weekly meeting schedule (regular day and time)
- Presumptive deadlines for completion of:
- topic development
- consultation with assigned librarian
- bibliography of possible topic sources
- thesis statement
- research plan
- final paper
- Credit allocation and grade or pass/fail designation
- Signature of research librarian who will work with the student (to be assigned by Library Director)
- Signatures of student, supervising faculty member, and associate dean (if necessary)
Contact the Registrar
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Hours are subject to change during exams, holidays, and summer session. Changes will be posted outside of the entrance to the Administrative Offices.
A drop box is located to the left of the Administrative Office doors for after-hours correspondence.